Wednesday 17 October 2012

Six months postpartum


Six months ago I was sitting in this chair holding a tiny, precious, bundle of life with a spare tyre for a waist and eager to shape up.  So much has changed in half a year.  Here's my subjective assessment of my progress in the flab mum to fab mum quest.

I've given up measuring my tummy and the only scales we own are kitchen ones.  I've realised that life is so different post-children and my body has gone through such changes that it does not make sense to be measuring and weighing myself in an attempt to look as I did before I became a mum.  It is better for me to look forward and get in shape for our lives now and in the future, to acknowledge and accept my changing body.  That is my small backlash against the myth that beauty is eternal youth.

Although still sleep-deprived (when will she sleep through the night?) I usually feel generally OK and have enough energy to keep up with the kids.  I get a few aches and pains, usually in my back, but nothing too troublesome.  My neck and shoulders were often sore after a day at work but feel looser now.  My limbs are strong and well toned from walking and lifting.  Under my wobbly tummy I now have some muscle although it is a far cry from a six-pack! 

I used to struggle to get to sleep even when exhausted but now I'm frequently asleep within 20 minutes of getting into bed.  My complexion is remarkably clear and mentally I feel alert despite the tiredness.  In short, exercising is giving me all the benefits I hoped for.  I look and feel better than I have for ages.  I just have to keep it up.  Oh, and I have some lovely new clothes...!



2 comments:

  1. I think this is spot on, what a brilliant overview! Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you! I hope the Pilates is going well

    ReplyDelete